Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Princesses - Daughters of the King

And the prayer went like this:

"Dear God, thank you for making me so beautiful in my dress at church today. Amen."

That's when her mama decided (lest she become vain) we best discuss being beautiful both on the outside AND the inside!!!!

Of course these discussions always get me thinking about the way I view my own self. Every day I become acutely aware that my little girls are watching me as I put on my clothes, do my hair, apply my makeup and evaluate myself in the mirror. While we all need to do these things to be presentable, I want to model to my girls that these things are not what really matter to God.

When we have Jesus living inside us, we are by position - PRINCESSES because He is our King! It doesn't matter how we look on the outside, we will always be a princess to Him.

But you have heard - "God loves you just the way you are but loves you too much to leave you that way."

Hence my discussion with Abbigail. God only cares about our heart. I asked her - "Do you think that a very pretty little girl who was mean to her friends would be beautiful to Jesus?" Of course not! It's what's on the inside that counts. And a beautiful heart does not come naturally.....making good choices in character goes against our sinful nature.

But the reality is.....we as moms have to believe it in order to teach it! Oh we know it in our heads but are we portraying it visibly in our lives? This is the question I ask of myself daily.

I want my girls to see that inner character needs to come before outward appearance.


6 comments:

  1. A good Godly mother, that's what you are! Your girls are blessed to have a mom like you. Are you my daughter's new friend? (Jessica Waldstein)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are blogging! What an encouragement you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so true Coreen. I am constantly aware of this with Amanda too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanne - thanks for your encouragement! And yes I am Jessica's new friend :) So glad they are in Minot...hope i can convince her of that! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU FOR HELPING JESSICA ADJUST. MAKES ME FEEL BETTER.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thoughs Coreen, as I am diving into this world of girls. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete