Monday, April 12, 2010

To homeschool or not to homeschool?

So.....many of you know we've been debating about homeschooling?

If you would have asked me two years ago....I'd have said ABSOLUTELY NOT! I can't be both mother and teacher....I don't want my kids to be socially strange.....I can't be with my kids every moment of the day......they won't get the same experiences here as at school......I can't shelter them forever......

oh I had a million reasons.....

But slowly over time (and with my dad's voice of encouragement) my heart really changed about it. And all of a sudden one day, I realized that I was totally okay with the idea! I think I shocked myself!!!!!!!!

So I went on a mission to find out all I could from everyone I knew about what would go into homeschooling and how it looked in practice in their homes. I found much helpful information and as time went on, felt a lot of peace in my heart about the idea.

For me.....a sense of peace is often the way God has directed my life. By nature I'm a worry wart. I can find anything under the sun to worry about and at times in my life it's driven me completely batty and even affected my health.

So.....when I'm at peace, I know it is God calming my heart cause I could never be in that state on my own.

But.....I have been pleading with God over the last couple months to give me something VERY specific to let me know that this decision is of Him. I felt I needed something so that when I was doubting the choice we made, I could say "No....this is what God clearly asked of us."

My prayers seemed to go unanswered until last week....

I was checking my Facebook and noticed that I had a friend request. When clicking on the little red 1 I noticed that it was from a Coreena Berube....WHAT????

I was slightly weirded out but proceeded to read the message that she had sent along with the request. She had been bored one night and wanted to see if there were any other Coreena Berube's on Facebook and she found me.....read my profile and realized I was a Christian!

She continued to tell me she was one too and told me a bit about her family. I quickly added her as my friend....Coreena Berube from Massacheusetts!

A day later she wrote to me and said that she had been reading on my blog that I was thinking about homeschooling. Then she told me about her experience homeschooling all her children.

Out of the blue she said "Coreen....if you even have the desire for it, it's likely of God. From everything I know about you - I think you'd do a wonderful job. You should do it."

A Coreena Berube from Massacheusetts encouraged a Coreen Berube from North Dakota to go for it!

I was floored! Isn't God creative?

7 comments:

  1. is coreena berube from massechusetts also a deaconess?

    just kidding. :) you'll do a wonderful job homeschooling your punks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO AWESOME! God it so good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, that's so awesome!
    I'm totally home schooling (at least for the few first years), and will write a post on my blog now about all the reasons I'm for it. And we all know some pretty socially awkward kids who went to school their whole lives.... you learn your social skills from your parents, not school :p

    Mandi Carter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad God has given you peace about it Coreen...and the confirmation!! I realized that I never did reply to your questions about homeschool. I apologize...and I will still try to if you'd still like info/ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome! What a confirmation from a total stranger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Mandi. We learn our social skills from our parents. At least we should. Unfortunately, kids too often learn things at school that need to be unlearned or relearned at home or later in life anyway. Keep writing, Coreen. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete