Monday, April 12, 2010

Casseroles

So yesterday we were at caregroup and I was lamenting the fact that I am now in an administrative role on the Deaconess Committee instead of hands-on, as I would rather prefer. I was explaining to the group that I would rather be the one to babysit the kids or take the casseroles to the door of the needy people than to organize the details.

Matt pipes up "Well....you can still cook for me babe....in fact if it makes you feel better, you could bring it to our door!"

Of course we all laughed hysterically......

and then I did some thinking about it.....

Sometimes I get so caught up in doing for others, that I forget that putting food on the table for MY OWN FAMILY is a ministry. I lose the joy of serving MY OWN FAMILY.

Why?

Well.....there's not a lot of appreciation from a one year old and a four year old....it's mundane.....it's not as glamorous.....

But I believe that MY OWN FAMILY needs to be my #1 ministry - God....again....gently reminded me of this through my hubby this week.....

So the next time I feel like I'd rather do for someone else than MY OWN FAMILY.....I may just cook that casserole and bring it to my own door!

(Let the neighbors think what they may!)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder Coreen! I'm exactly the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said.

    I think even the Church (gasp) has contributed to this thinking in making mothers feel that if they are not doing 'something' in the church they really are not ministering at all. I believe this is a lie that has made so many moms feel like their job at home is worthless.

    Thanks for the reminder that our greatest ministry is in the little and big things we do in our own homes for our husbands and the 'gifts' that He has entrusted into our care. What a blessing this ministry is, even if the rewards are not seen right away :) Our greatest reward will be in heaven if we are faithful to what God has put before us.

    Rosalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Great thoughts Coren. It is such an important ministry to serve our families. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete