Thursday, March 11, 2010

Livin' my Dream

Ever since I was a little girl, I dreamed of being a mom. I played dolls and house till I was 12 and LOVED every minute of it. Barbies and ponies were never my thing cause they just weren't real, ya know? I dreamed of having real live babies of my own and imagined being a mom just like my own. While at church functions and such, I asked moms if I could "watch" their children for them so they could visit. I was constantly with kids...babies being my favorite.

In highschool I spent most of my extra time babysitting. I would drop everything else for a babysitting job cause I got to play "mom" for the day or evening!

In my last year of school, I had to decide what to pursue for further education. Any courses on being a mom? HAHA! I also had a huge heart for missions and also for teaching. But really....deep down....all I wanted to be was a stay-at-home mom. You know....a Domestic Engineer :) But.....of course since I didn't have a man, this wasn't going to be possible at this point! So....I decided to take Intercultural Studies with an TESOL major - Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. This was just 3 years vs. 6 to take Education and it incorporated my love for missions.....perfect.

While at college....I met my man....Matt - or more affectionately known as Hub.... 4 years later....Abbigail Joy.....and 3 years later....Gabriella Hope.

Now I'm livin'! This is what I've been waiting for! No job could ever compare to raising my own children.

Do the days get long? Do I ever long for adult conversations? Do I ever wish there was a paycheck? Do I ever envy those with "sick" days? Do I ever wish I was "evaluated" to see how I'm doing? Do I ever want to crawl back under the covers and not have to face my messy house, teething baby and busy toddler?

A BIG YES!!!!!

But.....is it worth it?

AN EVEN BIGGER YES!!!

I love having the chance to "Repeat them (God's truths) again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up." Duet 6:7 I love having the chance to impact them for eternity in this way.

For me.....being home with my girls is where it's at :)

Are you livin' your dream?

3 comments:

  1. This is one of the reasons we love you, Coreen! You go girl!! :) You're an awesome Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I'd say I'm living my dream or not...I think if anything as a kid I just dreamed of going back to Africa. Currently though, yes this is my dream...to be home with my kids like you said & be able to be there for them all the time. You said it so well...yes there are hard times...but it's always worth it. Thanks for the reminder Coreen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! This is EXACTLY the way I was. The only reason I chose teaching was so I could fall back on something if for some reason God didn't have marriage for me. But, like you, all I wanted to do was be a mom and housewife! We are truly sisters!

    ReplyDelete