Sunday, August 1, 2010

Midnight Mind Wanderings

"In spending yourself you become rich."

Not sure where I found this quote but I love it - hence the reason it's on my FB page.....hence the reason I have a few thoughts on it.....hence the reason I am STILL on here after midnight! So if I get rambling, I apologize :)

America is sure messed up.....not that that is news to you I'm sure.....but seriously.....we think that THINGS will make us happy. How could a new couch or car or house or cat make us eternally happy? Temporarily - yes - but eternally - absolutely NOT!

Does that mean that we should never buy these things? NO - No. We just shouldn't be focused on it.

Our goal in life should not be to make SELF happy.

Another area America is messed up - everything is about SELF-esteem.....yes we should have a proper self-image but our lives should be about esteeming OTHERS. When we esteem others we now have self -esteemed as well. Problem solved.

Try it! I'm sure you have......don't you feel so blessed when you do something for someone else? God wasn't joking when He said "It is more blessed to give than to receive". It truly is.

In living this out, you become the rich one. Not the one who has the material possessions - but you who are spending yourself on others. Spending your time, talents, efforts and perhaps money. Not rich monetarily but rich in your heart - rich in love and joy and purpose.

I love how God goes against common principle and defies all logic. How can you spend and yet be rich? That doesn't make any sense at all.......but in God's eternal perspective it all becomes clear.

When you choose to spend yourself on others - you will be rich....eternally, that's all that matters.

4 comments:

  1. I agree (By the way its me TRACY and NOT my sleeping husband writing this) wholeheardedly!! We also try to have all our THINGS open to eveyones use. It's not "OURS" anyways....and if we can't grow as a family or bless others with it...what IS it's use? It's almost more fun for me to see OTHERS enjoying my stuff than using it myself.We have friends who are so openhanded about everything and it has taught us that THAT in itself is a ministry.Then continually give us chances to do things we couldn't otherwise and it's amazing how calmly they view the use of their cabin,boats,skiis,pontoon,ect......calmly.Without a shred of worry about their "stuff".I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ???Hmmmm... I would love to read what you wrote, but for some reason it's all showing up in "code".

    ReplyDelete
  3. ditto, heidi. it's all icons and stuff. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you changed the font to "wingdings" or one of those that's all little pictures.

    ReplyDelete